London Electric Vehicle Company (LEVC) Sees Waste Management Transformation Through Partnership With Axil Integrated Services
- 175 tonnes of waste diverted from landfill after comprehensive review of waste management processes
- 97% of waste now recycled at source following introduction of innovative on-site technology
- 212% increase in metal rebates worth £20,000 to LEVC
London’s famous black taxicab firm, London Electric Vehicle Company (LEVC), has partnered with Axil Integrated Services to transform its waste management and recycling processes, seeing a 44% reduction in general waste and 175 tonnes of waste diverted from landfill in just nine months.
Axil Integrated Services has been brought on board at LEVCs Head Office and manufacturing facility in Ansty, Coventry, to improve waste processes, maintain zero to landfill status and drive down costs.
Following a comprehensive waste review of the site, Axil rolled out its award-winning Total Waste Management service, delivering impressive results, including:
- Identifying cost-saving opportunities through improved waste segregation, commodity rebates, on-site equipment, and improved management of hazardous waste.
- Improved waste segregation has delivered 98% increase in metals captured and segregated, with a 212% increase in metal rebates.
- 44% reduction in general waste tonnage through designing new processes and 97% of all waste now recycled at source.
- 136% increase in cardboard rebates by bringing innovative processing units on-site.
Craig Lea, Head of Maintenance, Group Facilities and HSE at LEVC, comments: “we strive to be sustainable in all aspects of our operations. Partnering with Axil Integrated Services has helped us make significant improvements, with over 90% of waste now diverted from Landfill and an overall increase in recycling across our site. We plan to continue working closely with Axil to ensure the best levels of sustainability and efficiency in our waste management processes.”
Axil has achieved these impressive results through its comprehensive approach to waste management, which involves increasing recycling levels, reducing waste to landfill and understanding and improving waste handling methods on and off site.
The following innovations were introduced by Axil to deliver these results:
- A new baler was introduced enabling LEVC to bale more cardboard than ever, delivering greater rebates at higher values.
- Colour-coded bins and additional signage have been implemented to increase waste segregation and encourage more recycling.
- Axil HazPod™ has been introduced; specialist, UN-approved 1100 litre hazardous waste bins to increase the capacity on site, reduce collections and provide cost reductions.
- Hazardous and general waste mixed loads were removed, meaning general waste is now sent to a Material Recovery Facility (MRF), with residual waste sent for Refuse-derived Fuel (RDF).
Edward Pigg, MD of Axil Integrated Services, added: “LEVC share our enthusiasm and passion for sustainability. This shared commitment has given us the perfect framework to take an innovative approach to identifying solutions to LEVCs waste challenges, enabling us to transform their operations, improve recycling and deliver robust cost savings.”
As a next-generation electric vehicle company, sustainability is a cornerstone for LEVC and Axil will continue to work closely in partnership to analyse and improve the businesses’ waste management, as part of a commitment to meeting its ambitious environmental targets.
Since 2014, Geely has invested more than £500m into the London Electric Vehicle Company (LEVC), allowing it to build an entirely new manufacturing facility in Ansty, Coventry. LEVC manufactures the world’s only purpose-built, range extended electric TX taxi and shuttle at its state-of-the-art factory and its new electric van, VN5.
Having already established a new central European sales office in Frankfurt to increase LEVC’s presence across Europe, new markets such as Middle East, New Zealand and Australia will continue to increase the company’s export footprint. This strategy will see LEVC move from 90 percent domestic sales and 10 percent export to 60 percent export by 2022.
About Axil Integrated Services:
Axil Integrated Services are experts in total waste management, providing solutions from recycling to recovery, treatment, and disposal. Axil Integrated Services helps companies looking to drive costs from their business, achieve ‘zero to landfill’ or those who need waste compliance advice.
Working with some of the UK’s best-known brands, Axil Integrated Services offers waste management services to a range of industry sectors including Aerospace, Automotive, Food, Manufacturing and Pharmaceuticals.
For more information, visit www.axil-is.com.